For Sherman Hay
for my father
https://shermanhay.format.com/
To come into the awareness of the gift given
to again be open to receive what might unfold
find and enter the art
to give back out of myself
yours and this particular self’s art
To find means to keep living our shared world
to live ascending
to you and this
To delight in that in which you delighted
to recount
what you opened for me
these bright directions
Again finding you where no one else would find you
still hearing your voice in our house, yes
but also anywhere else I come to find myself
To be marked by your loss is
to live between here and your place
I who have known you, in a relation only our own
you who founded me
you whose only remaining body is locked away in my mind
setting myself to this work, to find you in your past, my past, my present
bear memory
seemingly against life to bring you into my presence again
against death, amongst earth
if I am disciplined enough to carry you
if not, what of a lost life can I bear forth?
I would take you up in my arms, what you have given me in your being with me,
so that you might transform me in ways I could not be transformed during your life
so that I might take in, might yield late what you have given me
living downstream from you, from all you shared in time near or remote from me
to all you brought forth in my life, still receiving from you
floods in fluctuation
at your final home of 15 years, among your sculpture garden, your art, your trace
in the season of your death,
driving up from the city that morning after you died in the house, almond blossoms pink-whitened the valley
then the foothills enveloped in green grass light
now always returning to your garden, always work needed
now wearing your old straw hat
pooling surfaces of crystal grain
the climb twist warp of stone and grape,
so also the wrap of color and shape in your painted ceramics
having dealt in stone’s motion
there breathes the lure in this or that fold between stones
accumulated in the rippling flood of the rock down our hill
searching again for a vocabulary for the structuring and momentum of those rocks
finding always new shape among your design
always more from you
from the newness of again being here today with you
The mark of an energetic body
and the maintenance of that mark by those who care for you still
whose life is enriched by your presencing there again
renewing the work of you preceding me,
of opening to what you saw and made of that seeing
you whose death’s slow unfolding in me
as I slow folding in what is yours
which is so much of what glitters of my world
I live on after you
carrying you impossibly
what can be thought over your death and absence
and plod beyond your ashes and utter your name to the living
the world amidst which I still live,
changing me in ways you will never see
Not content with only holding you as an object of memory
rather to reconstruct you in myself
search in my own skin for your presence
for your power overlapping in me in which my insight is also yours
for us to alight here
you left me with the signs:
your artworks portals asking of me, which I too ask
and what words to speak for what your work might not communicate?
what communion will not be there for others?
what can I offer?
Finding my way to you with whatever I can glean from the day’s study
finding ways to be changed by you anew
Comments
Post a Comment